Update: This event was held Saturday, February 19th, 2022.
Download the results of the 2022 Carey Lake Classic Nordic Ski Challenge as a PDF document.
General Event Information (2022)
What: The Carey Lake Classic is a classical ski event conducted by the Range Nordic Gliders. This great Nordic Ski Challenge offers an opportunity for the recreational / fitness skier and the competitive skier who enjoys a race.
Date: Saturday, February 19th, 2022.
Facility: Carey Lake Recreation Area, Hibbing, MN. Trail Head P2. (See Map for Directions to P2)
Trails: The Highland Trail will be used for the 3K challenge. The Lakeview, Black Forest and Highland will be used for the 11K Challenge. All trails will be groomed the day before the Challenge.
Divisions: Both Female and Male.
|12 & under||3k||11:30 am||1st thru 3rd|
|13-14||3k||11:30 am||1st thru 3rd|
|15-19||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
|20-29||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
|30-39||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
|40-49||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
|50-59||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
|60+||11k||1:00 pm||1st thru 3rd|
Note: There will also be an overall award for the best time in the 11K division for both the male and female division.
Registration Fee: Early Bird Registration thru Sunday, January 30 only $25.00. All registrations received between Monday, January 31 and event day will be $30.00 with no shirt guaranteed.
Online Registration: You can register online through Tuesday, February 15. Register online through the Range Runners Website.
Event Day Registration: Registration will also be held on event day from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon. Registration will be located near the hospitality tent in the event area, as you exit the parking lot. Registration payment on event day will only be accepted by credit card & Paypal.
Refunds: Due to upfront costs of the CAREY LAKE CLASSIC there will be no refunds given if cancellation is necessary.
Entries: The 3K Challenge will be limited to 30 entries. The 11K Challenge will be limited to 125 entries. Entries are non-transferable.
Long Sleeve Tees: All early bird registrations will receive a commemorative CAREY LAKE CHALLENGE long sleeve tee.
Packet Pick-up: CAREY LAKE CLASSIC packets, which include your bib number and chip, may be picked up on Friday, February 18 from 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the Hibbing Memorial Building Arena, 400 East 21st Street. Please use the main parking lot and enter the East Entrance Door that will lead you to the downstairs dining room.
Packets may also be picked up on event day from 9:30 a.m. thru 12:00 Noon. Pack-et Pick up will be located near the hospitality tent.
Benefits & Features: As mentioned, the beautiful Carey Lake Ski trails will be groomed the day before the challenge.
- PARKING – There will be a spacious parking lot that is close to the trail head. Don’t worry, our parking attendants will make sure you are taken care of.
- COURSE SAFETY – The Course Marshall and his team will have the trails marked with both directional and safety signs. Ski safety patrol will be providing service where needed. Hibbing EMT’s will be on site for emergencies.
- TOILETS – We have toilets – do not miss the starting gun.
Warm-up Area: The Southern Lights Trail (GREEN HIGHLIGHT ON MAP) between markers 2 and 5 will be the skier warmup area. Signs will be posted.
Timing & Results: Chip timing will be used for individual results. Participants will be assigned a chipped race number.
Starting Procedure: Mass starts will be used in both the 3K and 11K challenge.
- Skiers will be asked to give previous times or expectations of time when registering.
- Skiers will be assigned race numbers that will corollate to staring positions.
- Both challenge distances will be given a first call, second call and last call before the gun goes off.
Award Presentations: Award Presentations will start at the conclusion of each challenge / race.
Cancellations: The CAREY LAKE CLASSIC will be cancelled on race day if;
- The ambient temperature is -5 degrees Fahrenheit or colder,
- Or there is an overnight snowfall of 6” or more.
- Announcements will be posted on the website / facebook / Instagram.
Information: The CAREY LAKE CLASSIC information is subject to change.
• Announcement updates will be posted on the website / facebook / Instagram.
The 3k Course (ages 14 & under) in red will start at P2 and ski the highland trail back to P2 for the finish.
The 11k Course (ages 15 & up) in yellow will start at P2, go up thru the highland and follow the lakeview trail around the black forest trail, back thru the lakeview and around the highland and back to P2 to finish.
Both courses will be properly marked with both directional and safety signs.