What: The Carey Lake Classic is a classic and freestyle event conducted by the Range Nordic Gliders. This great nordic ski challenge offers an opportunity for the recreational or competitive skier who enjoys a race.
Date: February 18, 2023
Facility: Carey Lake Recreation Area, Hibbing, MN Trailhead P2 (see map for directions to P2).
Trails: Highland Trail will be used for the 3k Classic course. The Lakeview, Black Forest, and Highland Trails will be used for the 13k classic Challenge course. Lakeview and Black Forest Trails will be used for the 12k freestyle Challenge course. All trails will be groomed the day
before the event.
COURSE DIVISIONS: Male/Female – Awards will go to 1st – 3rd place in each division, and 1st – 3rd for best overall times in the 13k Classic and 12k Freestyle events.
Age Divisions: Each of the three races will have the following age divisions.
- 12 & Under (3k Race Only)
- 3K Classic- 11:00 am
- 13K Classic – 12:00 noon
- 12K Freestyle – 12:25 pm
Registration Fee: Early Bird Registration through Monday, January 30th will be only $25.00. All registrations received between Tuesday, January 31st and event day will be $30.00 with no T-shirt guaranteed.
Online Registration: Online registration will be held through February 14th. You can register at the following site: https://rangeevents.org
Event Day Registration: Registration will also be held on event day from 9:30 am -10:30 am. Registration will be located near the hospitality tent in the event area. Forms of payment accepted will be by credit card and Paypal only.
Refunds: Due to upfront costs of the Carey Lake Classic there will be no refunds issued if cancellation is necessary.
Entry Limits: The event will be limited to 150 participants total.
Short Sleeve T-shirts: All early bird registrations will receive a commemorative Carey Lake Classic Ski Challenge T-shirt.
Packet Pick-up: Carey Lake Classic packets, which include your bib number, chip, and various hospitality items, can be picked up on Friday, February 17 from 4:00-6:00 pm at the Hibbing Memorial Building Arena, 400 East 21st Street. Please use the East Entrance door.
***Packets may also be picked up on day of event from 9:30 -10:30 am. Packet pick-up will be clearly marked near the hospitality tent.***
Benefits and Features: As mentioned, the beautiful Carey Lake ski trails will be groomed the day before the Carey Lake Classic.
- PARKING – There will be a spacious parking lot that is close to the trail head. We will have parking attendants on hand for you.
- COURSE SAFETY – The Course Marshall and his team will have the trails marked with both directional and safety signs. Ski safety patrol will be providing service where needed. Hibbing EMT’s will be readily available for emergencies.
- TOILETS – We will have toilets on site close to the starting line, don’t miss the starting gun!
Warm-up Area: The area highlighted in GREEN on map between markers 2 and 5 will be the skier warm-up area.
Timing and Results: Chip timing will be used for individual results. Participants will be assigned a chipped race number.
Starting Procedure: Mass starts will be used in the 3k Classic, and both the 13k Classic and 12k Freestyle events.
- Skiers will be asked to give previous times or expectations of time when registering.
- Skiers will be assigned race numbers that will correlate to starting positions.
- The 3k Classic, 13k Classic, and 12k Freestyle starts will all be given a first call, second call, and last call before your start gun goes off.
Award Presentations: All awards will be presented at the end of each event.
Cancellations: The Carey Lake Classic Ski Challenge will be subject to cancellation if the following should occur:
- Ambient temperature is -5 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
- There is an overnight snowfall of 6” or more.
Information: The Carey Lake Classic information is subject to change.
ANY CANCELLATIONS, UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL BE POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE, FACEBOOK, OR INSTAGRAM PAGES.
Will you post the official results here?
Will the results be posted soon? To skinnyski?